Tasty easy Summer dinner
Contrary to the way North Africans prepare couscus dishes, Sicilians prefer to serve it with fish and vegetables , cooked in the fresh, light Italian style. Try these recipes for a tasty, easy summer dinner.
- ½ bag Mishpaha Hama whole-grain couscus
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
- 1 hot red pepper, sliced (optional)
- ½ kg. cherry tomatoes, halved
- 300 gr. canned Italian artichoke quarters
- 300 gr. chickpeas soaked overnight and cooked (or use frozen pre-cooked ones)
- 2 sprigs fresh oregano, leaves only
- ½ cup dry white wine
- Salt and pepper
Prepare couscous according to directions on the package.
Heat oil in a heavy pan and add garlic and hot pepper. Sauté until garlic is golden but not brown, then add the tomatoes and mix lightly. Add drained artichokes and chickpeas, oregano and white wine. Season with salt and pepper and continue cooking on high heat about 3 minutes. Add cooked couscous into the pan, mix and serve.
Chef Mena Strum of Campanello in Tel Aviv, who specializes in Italian cuisine, created Sicilian- inspired recipes using the Israeli-made Mishpaha Hama couscus, which has won several competitions in Sicily at Couscous Fest, San Vito Lo Capo, Trapani