In Sicily, as well as other in European Countries, there is a set of laws to govern wine production and protect the naming of wines’ original locations.
D.O.C. stands for: Denominazione di Origine Controllata or
Original Location Certification.
I.G.T. stands for: Vino da tavola con indicazione geografica tipica or
Table wine indicated as Typical of Geographic Area.
Wine is classified in three categories:
- V.D.T.:Vino da Tavola or Table Wine
- I.G.T.: Vino da Tavola con Indicazione Geografica Tipica or Table wine from Typical Geographic Area
- D.O.C.: Vino a Denominazione di Origine Controllata or Original Location Certified Wine
- D.O.C.G.: Denominazione di Origine Controllata Garantita or Original location Certified and Guaranteed Wine. Cerasuolo di Vittoria is the only appellation in Sicily, till today, considered worthy of D.O.C.G. status, and wines must meet certain requirements such as: being made from grapes grown within a particular zone; blended in a particular proportion; receiving a certain amount of aging before release.
- Vini Aromatizzati or Aromatized wines
- Vini Liquorosi or Liquor wines (when other liquors are added during the process of making)